Developmental age 10-12 years 5-6th grade
a week long day camp 11AM-4PM
The messages in each lesson are transmitted through a wide range of activities, games, and discussions, giving participants the chance to explore their own ideas and feelings, while recognizing common experiences as well as diverse perspectives among their peer group.
Sexuality and Values
· helps participants clarify, support, and communicate their values about sexuality.
Images in Popular Culture
· helps participants become informed and aware of how the media portray sexuality.
· helps participants explore the concept of body image, understand the diverse experiences people have with their body and its abilities, and consider ways to keep their own body healthy.
Changes of Puberty
· helps participants understand the physical and emotional changes of puberty.
· helps participants examine the messages they receive about gender. They learn what it means to have a gender identity and about some of the many variations in sexual identity.
Feelings and Attraction
· helps participants understand the concept of being romantically attracted to someone else, whether of a different gender or the same gender. Participants learn some of the terms commonly used to talk about sexual orientation, and think about what people may do in a variety of scenarios related to attraction.
Reproduction and Staying Healthy
· covers conception, pregnancy, contraception, sexually transmitted infections, and other possible consequences of sexual activity.
Decisions and Actions
· educates participants about a range of sexual activity, including masturbation and sexually explicit media/pornography. Participants have an opportunity to think about when they would and would not want to engage in certain behaviors.
· helps participants learn how to communicate about consent, to examine situations in which consent is violated, and to identify people in their lives who can offer help.
Healthy Relationships and Communication
· helps participants understand the components of a healthy relationship and gives them an opportunity to practice communicating effectively.
We are always happy to have further conversations with parents who would like more clarity or detail on any session.